Monday, April 04, 2005

NYTimes.com: Thomas Friedman's eureka, that the world is flat

April 3rd

the man does go ga-ga. and i read a scathing review of his book somewhere (economist, i think), but since he's so influential in america, it's worth reading his ideas about how the world has shrunk (become 'flat' [sic]). nandan nilekani gets a cameo role.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/03/magazine/03DOMINANCE.html?ex=1113195600&en=921ae5f5f5a67e24&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS

It's a Flat World, After All

By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN

Published: April 3, 2005

In 1492 Christopher Columbus set sail for India, going west. He had the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria. He never did find India, but he called the people he met ''Indians'' and came home and reported to his king and queen: ''The world is round.'' I set off for India 512 years later. I knew just which direction I was going. I went east. I had Lufthansa business class, and I came home and reported only to my wife and only in a whisper: ''The world is flat.''

Advertisement
Travelzoo Have our Top 20 Newsletter
delivered to your Inbox each week!
The Most "WOW!" Travel Deals on the
Internet - here's a sampling:
Released 
MAR 30, 2005 

Air New Zealand $650 Fly Roundtrip to New Zealand, Just Announced

Vacation Village at Parkway $69 Orlando 1-Bedroom Suite at Half-Price

Brian Moore International Tours $369 Ireland in May: Air & 7 Days Car Rental

Orbitz $97 & up Fly to Las Vegas over Spring Weekends

Atlantis $199 Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island, 40% OFF in May

Worry-Free Vacations $69 Jamaica from Dallas (Roundtrip), Over 3 Weekends

Click on any deal and check them out today!
*Fares listed may not include all taxes, charges and government fees. More information. © 2005 Travelzoo Inc.

And therein lies a tale of technology and geoeconomics that is fundamentally reshaping our lives -- much, much more quickly than many people realize. It all happened while we were sleeping, or rather while we were focused on 9/11, the dot-com bust and Enron -- which even prompted some to wonder whether globalization was over. Actually, just the opposite was true, which is why it's time to wake up and prepare ourselves for this flat world, because others already are, and there is no time to waste.

I wish I could say I saw it all coming. Alas, I encountered the flattening of the world quite by accident. It was in late February of last year, and I was visiting the Indian high-tech capital, Bangalore,

working on a documentary for the Discovery Times channel about outsourcing. In short order, I interviewed Indian entrepreneurs who wanted to prepare my taxes from Bangalore, read my X-rays from Bangalore, trace my lost luggage from Bangalore and write my new software from Bangalore. The longer I was there, the more upset I became -- upset at the realization that while I had been off covering the 9/11 wars, globalization had entered a whole new phase, and I had missed it. I guess the eureka moment came on a visit to the campus of Infosys Technologies, one of the crown jewels of the Indian outsourcing and software industry. Nandan Nilekani, the Infosys C.E.O., was showing me his global video-conference room, pointing with pride to a wall-size flat-screen TV, which he said was the biggest in Asia. Infosys, he explained, could hold a virtual meeting of the key players from its entire global supply chain for any project at any time on that supersize screen. So its American designers could be on the screen speaking with their Indian software writers and their Asian manufacturers all at once. That's what globalization is all about today, Nilekani said. Above the screen there were eight clocks that pretty well summed up the Infosys workday: 24/7/365. The clocks were labeled U.S. West, U.S. East, G.M.T., India, Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this book is just another example among many of The West's traditionally spontaneous jealousy of anything good in India.