Wednesday, February 08, 2012

How your browser spies on you

I had enumerated the ways and means to be anonymous online. If you have
been able to implement this, the following website would be able to give
you a remarkable picture of how you can be easily identified.

http://browserspy.dk/

It doesn't boil down to cookies itself and implemented addons in firefox
are not the iron clad solution. It does make the internet surfing a
bothersome affair, but it involves "active surfing". Very soon, you'd be
able to "whitelist" your regular sites and it becomes easier.

By the way, based on my own tests, it lists my location from my VPN
site, lists my browser as something else; it's unable to detect my
plugins and takes me as a "generic visitor". In reality, I am using
Firefox (10) on Linux. 256 bit end to end security is worth a little
price and some hassle to browse in total peace.

1 comment:

reader said...

off topic. But news like this is always tucked away innocuously. Its too small to make a fuss about isn't it ?

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/2/2012020820120208022707133b9ac6d9b/School-suspends-student-for-henna-hands.html