Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Fwd: The wages of "love" is flight...


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: K


http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/interview-with-author-and-rationalist-sanal-edamaruku/article9050772.ece?homepage=true

What prompted you to leave India in 2012? Don't you think it's time you returned?

When I left India in June 2012, I did not think I would be staying away for this long. Following the Mumbai crucifix miracle exposure over a TV panel discussion, the situation went out of my control. Apart from the cases that they tried to impose on me by misusing the archaic Section 295(A) of the Indian Penal Code, there have been direct and indirect attacks on me from the side of the Catholic Church....

....So, following the TV debate with the Mumbai bishop, a group of goons were sent to the studio with sticks to attack me. After several hours, the studio crew had to save me by opening a new way out. As church panellists threatened in the TV programme, several complaints were filed against me in Mumbai police stations. There were calls to get me arrested for at least one night so that they could get rid of me by a co-prisoner.

All these forced me to go into hiding. And, protected by trusted friends, I gave interviews and appeared on TV programmes. In my last weeks in India, I was hiding in a hostel room at the Jawaharlal Nehru University. It was from there I left for Finland two weeks ahead of a pre-scheduled lecture tour in Poland.




--
sent from samsung galaxy note3 neo, so please excuse brevity

1 comment:

san said...

The physical intimidation should have been recorded on video, so that it could later be publicly presented as evidence to expose the thugs for what they are.